Tuesday 10 December 2019

Counting on & Square numbers

Z has known how to count up to 100 for a while... I'm not sure where she learnt it - from her sisters probably! And has recently randomly started doing addition on her fingers, e.g. she'll come to me while I'm cooking and say "4 plus 3 is 7!" while holding up her fingers to show me... So I thought I should probably put some effort in too and help her addition skills improve. 😅

Firstly, she hadn't got the hang of counting on when doing addition - i.e. she would count the fingers on one hand from 1 before counting on the fingers from the other hand, rather than just start at 4 and count on from there. So I asked her "What's 7 plus 7?" Of course, she couldn't do it on her fingers because she didn't have 7 fingers on each hand!

So we took out the multilink cubes and she chose two colours - red and black - to represent each number in my questions. She counted out 7 red cubes and 7 black cubes, then (starting from 1 again!) counted them all to 14. I covered the red pile with my hand and told her we know this pile is 7, so we don't need to count it again! And modelled counting on with the black blocks to get to 14.


We did another couple of questions like this with the blocks (e.g. 8 + 4, 6 + 9, so answers between 11-20) and I would cover the larger number with my hand after she'd counted out the blocks so she could count on with the smaller number. Then I would uncover the pile and she could count them all to check her answer was correct.

Then I asked her if she needed to count out the blocks for the bigger number at all, because I was covering the pile anyway! And she said no, but where should she put the number then? I lightly squeezed the top of her head with my hand and said to put the number in there (I found when teaching the twins when they were younger that this physical action helped them!).

I asked her what 8 + 5 was. Which was the bigger number? 8. So where does it go? In your head (*squeeze for emphasis)... Without prompting she then counted out 5 blocks. I touched her head to remind her 8 was in there then she used the blocks to help count on to 13. 😄

Final stage: I asked her if she could do bigger numbers like 15 + 4 then? And could she use her fingers to help in case she didn't have any blocks? She touched her own head (15 in here...) and counted on to 19 using 4 fingers. Last question, 22 + 8? Same method, she worked out it was 30! MashaAllah. 💪 When Papa came home later she was happy to show him she could now do maths with bigger numbers! And I was happy to see she'd retained what I'd taught her earlier. 😂💕

----------

While I had the blocks out, I decided to use them afterwards for the twins as an introduction to square numbers.

They have a multiplication grid poster in their bedroom and F had asked that morning why the numbers in a diagonal line were coloured differently to the rest. M straightaway answered because they were in a pattern of 1 x 1, 2 x 2, 3 x 3... So we went downstairs and I wrote these out to 5 x 5 on the whiteboard, with the answers, and an array of dots for each one to explain why they were called square numbers.

Fast forward to these blocks again - so several hours later - I asked the twins to use them to make as many square numbers as they could while I put A down for her nap.


MashaAllah they made these (and were also able to tell me they had used 91 blocks because there were 9 left over!) so I thought I'd quickly recap area while here...

E.g. how many cubes are in the square for 6 x 6? 36. So if I had a field and one side of the field was 6m, what would the area of the field be? They quickly answered 36 (and I filled in the m² units for them - I'm not interested in units at the moment so didn't want to dwell on them at this point). I asked similar questions for other square numbers in the context of word problems such as areas of walls, books, rooms, boxes, etc. Then to be sneaky I threw in a question on perimeter. They both fell for it. 😂 But when I repeated the question emphasising the word perimeter they laughed at themselves and were able to give the correct answer. MashaAllah. 😁😁

----------

While we're on the subject of maths, I'm going to put this here as a nice reminder of how the twins have different personalities and ways of thinking... Some of their answers to a worksheet they did the next day...

F, trying her hardest, but sometimes not seeing the wood for the trees:


M, being calm, laid-back and not making life difficult for herself:


😂👍

No comments:

Post a Comment