Wednesday 18 March 2020

Madinah Arabic Reader Book 2 - Lesson 3b

Week 1:

We read the passage from p.25 and talked about what we thought it meant. They managed to make sense of most of it MashaAllah. I told the girls we would read it again at the end of the chapter, inshaAllah, so they could see how much they had guessed correctly and how much they had learnt!


I filled the whiteboard with the new words for this chapter, i.e. feminine plurals. I asked the girls if they noticed any patterns and they said they ended in "alif taa", which I clarified as the "closed taa opens up" for the sound plurals. Of course, some words didn't follow the pattern exactly, such as "nisaa" and "banaat", etc.!

We looked at the feminine plurals for adjectives and noticed that they were the same as the masculine plurals.

Finally, we did the exercise at the bottom of p.25 and top of p.26 verbally. We learnt that the plural for "these" is the same for both masculine and feminine, i.e. "haulaai".

We read through the whiteboard at random chances throughout the week, with mini tests in between, and I took the words off once the girls were confident they knew them. Sometimes we just read the words as is, other times as a sentence, e.g. "Haulaai fatayaatun" and with a mix of definite and indefinite, i.e. "Haulaai mudarrisaatun / Haulaai al-mudarrisaatu".

Week 2:

We read through the activity on p.26, with a focus on looking at "hunna" as the plural of "hiya", i.e. "they" and as the plural of "haa", i.e. "their".

I wrote the following on the whiteboard so we could recap the differences:


Then I laid out all the vocabulary mentioned in the activity and read through the sentences in turn. As I read each sentence, the girls found the corresponding cards and then translated the Arabic into an English sentence.


We then needed to tidy up the cards... But rather than just gather them up, I asked them to pass me a card to put in a pile only once they'd used it in a sentence. They took it in turns to come up with sentences and they could use more than one card at a time if they wanted - though obviously this made it more difficult! The winner was the one who had the bigger pile of cards at the end.

MashaAllah they came up with some good sentences, with up to 4 cards at a time! F won with 14 vs 12, so I gave M the chance to make up any sentence using an adjective to describe a group of female people... So in the end, they ended up with a draw. 😉


Finally, I wrote the following on the whiteboard:


Using cards as prompts (I took a mixture from all the cards so far, some of which we've not seen since Book 1!) they took it in turns to pick up cards from face down piles (1 for female people, 1 for nouns and 1 for adjectives) to make sentences along the above pattern, e.g. "Hunna fatayaatun. Baytuhunna kabeerun." = "They are young girls. Their house is big."

Week 3:

I asked the girls how to say "they went" (m), i.e. recapping the verb ending pattern "dhamma, waw, alif" to make "dhahabuu". Then I read a sentence from p.26 and asked them to tell me how to say "they went" (f) - which they correctly identified as "dhahabna". So what was the verb pattern here? The ending changes to "sukoon, noon with a fatha".

I stuck the following flashcards onto the whiteboard and asked the girls to tell me what to write on either side:


On another day, I chose about 10 more verbs from our verb flashcards to go through with the girls. I showed them the Arabic side for them to read (1st person, past tense, singular male) and translate the meaning for, e.g. "dhahaba" means "he went".

Then I challenged them to go through all the cards and change them to third person, past tense, plural male (e.g. "qafazuu" means "they [males] jumped") and to third person, past tense, plural female (e.g. "qafazna" means "they [females] jumped"). MashaAllah they managed this OK and this really helped solidify the verb ending patterns!


Next, I put the verbs into one pile and next to them a pile of people (both male and female... I was originally going to just do sentences all in the masculine form followed by all in the feminine form, but because they were confident enough in the previous activity I thought I'd just mix them all up from the start!). Along the top I laid out the prepositions we've come across so far, so they could use them as prompts if they got stuck.

The activity was to use the verb and plural for the person to create a sentence. (I took out the verb "fa'ala" before we started when I realised it was difficult to make a sentence with using the vocabulary and grammar we knew so far!)

Some of the sentences they came up with were e.g. "Jalasna at-tabeebaatu 'ala al-maktabi" (The female doctors sat on the desk), "Akaluu al-muhandisoon at-tuffaaha" (The male engineers ate the apple), "Kharajna al-mudarisaatu min al-hammaami" (The female teachers exited from the bathroom).

I wasn't fussed if the sentences actually made sense! But this was good practise for word endings (i.e. changing to a kasra if preceded by a preposition or to a fatha if it was the object being affected by a verb) and for making them think about which vocabulary they knew, without any flashcard prompts, to complete their sentences!

Finally, we talked about what to do if we had more than one group of people in the sentence, i.e. two groups of males, which form of the verb would we use? The masculine... Two groups of females? Use the feminine... What about a group of males and a group of females? Then we'd use the masculine. What if there were more females, say three groups of females and only one male? Still use the masculine!

Then we practised making up sentences along this pattern, drawing 3 cards at random from the people pile and thinking about which form of the verb to use in a sentence. (I chose to use 3 rather than 2 as I'm not sure if there's a dual form for past tense? We're not that far in our studies yet! So to be safe, just avoid using 2 lol)

Week 4:

We did the activities on p.27 and p.28, taking it in turns to read the sentence, translate it and then give the suitable pronoun/change to plural. This was pretty much just revision so I didn't get the cards out - we just did it verbally sitting together around the book.

I wrote out the words at the bottom of p.28 into their handwriting books and they told me what the plurals were for me to write next to them. Then they practised handwriting by copying the words once each.

No comments:

Post a Comment