Wednesday 28 March 2018

Short Chapter Book Recommendations for 4-6 Year Olds

An ongoing list of books we've read throughout the year, so I can remember them in future for younger siblings, insha'Allah! I found it a little difficult finding chapter books for the twins at a level that's a suitable challenge in terms of introducing new vocabulary, but also featuring content they could understand and relate to at Reception age. So this is a list of books I read to them which they enjoyed, sifting out the duds we borrowed from the library. 😂

Just in the order we've read them rather than anything else, but with a rating out of 10 included. 😊

1) The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me (Roald Dahl)
Join a young boy as he meets a trio of animal window cleaners and the adventures they get up to. A classic Roald Dahl tale, I chose this one to start with as it's relatively short, has interesting characters and the songs I could sing to my own made-up tunes. My girls liked the poetry sections the best, though I feel some of the content was lost a little on them so definitely one to revisit in later years. They didn't really like the robbery part, but overall it was a nice introduction to Dahl. [7/10]

2) The Magic Finger (Roald Dahl)
A young girl lives next door to a family of hunters, which makes her so angry she accidentally puts "the magic finger" on them! Another short story by Dahl, with a moral against hunting for sport. The length of it was perfect for my girls and they found the idea of ducks swapping places with humans funny. Not sure if they fully got the moral but a good read nonetheless. [7/10]

3) The Snake Who Came to Stay (Julia Donaldson)
A young girl named Polly opens a summer holiday home for pets in her house, much to the despair of her mum! Especially when the snake escapes and there are guinea pigs on the loose... My girls really enjoyed this humorous tale and the chapters often end on a cliffhanger, perfect for comprehension questions and something to look forward to the next day. [9/10]

4) Flat Stanley (Jeff Brown)
When a large bulletin board falls on Stanley during the night, he wakes up the next morning unhurt but completely flat! The story features him dealing with a variety of funny situations, his younger brother's jealousy and even helping catch a pair of famous art thieves. Again, my girls appreciated the humour and could relate to the feelings of the sibling. There were quite a few new words to explain the meanings of, as the book was first published in 1964, but the exposure to new vocabulary is definitely a positive. [8/10]

5) The Iron Man (Ted Hughes)
When a giant metal man appears from nowhere and begins eating all the metal in the countryside, the farmers need to come up with a plan to save themselves... despite a young boy named Hogarth's reluctance. Little do they know a mysterious being from space is on its way and the Iron Man might be their only hope in saving the world! I wasn't sure how my girls would like this, though the writing is definitely at a suitable level, but they actually enjoyed it far more than I thought they would! There's a lot of description in the first chapter, which I acted out for them as we read, but the way the atmosphere is set is done really well and they were able to appreciate the suspense and cliffhangers. I felt the story escalated quite quickly in the latter chapters and the grand moral of world peace passes by too quickly, but overall the girls think it's the best book we've read together so far! [9/10]

6) Little Animal Ark - The Midnight Mouse (Lucy Daniels)
Mandy, a girl who lives in Animal Ark with her veterinarian parents, helps her friend Amy choose a new pet mouse. They have trouble thinking of a name... until that night during a sleepover when they hear strange noises coming from the mouse's cage... I chose this book because I thought my girls would enjoy the animal element, but personally upon reading it I found the writing tedious and the descriptions (although educational in how to look after a mouse) too long and dull. That said, the twins said they liked the book overall, and found the intended funny parts funny, so I may end up borrowing more from this series if we come across them at the library! [5/10]

7) Willow Valley - Birthday Fun (Tracey Corderoy)
It's Riley the mouse's birthday; a charming tale of friendships and parties. I love the descriptions and choice of vocabulary in this book - such a rich reading experience! The plot is nothing amazing, though my girls enjoyed its gentle pace and small adventures, but I would definitely get more from this series for the writing style alone. [8/10]

No comments:

Post a Comment