Tuesday 24 April 2018

More work with 10s

Just another self-reference post to show progress...


We did some more work on 2-digit numbers and adding/subtracting 10s. One of the girls found this a little more difficult than the other (the other was fine with an explanation then onto the worksheet) - I needed to model it for her a little more both with the multilink cubes, the abacus and writing colour coded examples on the whiteboard - so she could see visually that when adding/subtracting by 10 only the Tens are affected and the Units don't change at all. (Letts Make It Easy... Maths & English (Age 5-6) & Collins Easy Learning - Mental Maths (Ages 5-7))


We also did some work on the 10x table, by which I gave them the worksheets (Schofield&Sims - KS1 Problem Solving 2 & Letts Make It Easy... Maths & English (Age 5-6)) and the multilink cubes sorted into sticks of 10, read through the first question together as an example then left them to it... MashaAllah they were finished both sides within 10 minutes and without using the cubes at all! One of them laughed at me that I thought it would take them longer and they both laughed at me for taking the cubes out. 🙈 I tested them orally to check understanding and yes, they had either memorised or could quickly calculate their 10x table up to 10 x 10. 👌 Out of curiosity, I asked them what was 11 x 10? They weren't sure until I wrote it down for them to see, at which one of them got it straightaway. So I continued, then what was 20 x 10? That same twin understood it was 200 and 30 x 10 was 300 and so on; the other didn't get it - but that was just extra for my own curiosity. Not really something expected of them at this age! MashaAllah, I'm still super proud of them both. 💕

No comments:

Post a Comment